Wednesday, August 23, 2006

help!

My Netflix queue is growing smaller by the day--I am soliciting some recommendations (please).

I only like to watch TV shows (don't ask), so maybe that will help narrow things down.

Currently in queue:
The Comeback
Firefly (can you believe I still haven't seen this?)
Deadwood season 1
Popular

TV shows I've Netflixed (or own on DVD) and love:
Carnivale
Weeds
Six Feet Under
Wonderfalls
Scrubs
Grey's Anatomy
Freaks and Geeks
Greg the Bunny
Brideshead Revisited
Joan of Arcadia season 1 (I saw bits of season 2 when it aired, but it wasn't as good)
Arrested Development
Veronica Mars


TV shows I thought were ok:
Dead Like Me
Sports Night
Entourage

TV shows I didn't get into:
Footballers' Wives

Help! What else is out there to watch?? Some of my favorite shows don't start till like October and I need something to watch while I knit and do crosswords and cuddle my poor sneezy kitty.

10 comments:

Dr. Hectic said...

Mr. Show
The Ben Stiller Show
Futurama
Gilmore Girls
Good Eats
Northern Exposure
Freaks & Geeks
Fishing With John
Sex and the City
M*A*S*H

...just some ideas

Alicia K. said...

thanks for the suggestions--i didn't even know the ben stiller show was on dvd and i loooved that show when it was on.

i own freaks and geeks and sex and the city, seen fishing with john already, and i've watched all of gilmore girls as it aired, but northern exposure is a great call--i had a huge crush on chris in the morning!

Lisa B. said...

There's no Battlestar Galactica anywhere on your list!!

Seriously--I am NOT a sci fi buff at all and I think Battlestar Galactica (the new one, not the old one) is just really great television (OK, there were a couple of clinker episodes in Season 2.5 ... but that's not even out on DVD yet). Just try it--start with the miniseries and I bet you'll like it.

Plus the character called "Helo" is soooo hot ...

Alicia K. said...

Lisa, thanks for the recommendation. I am mainly looking for shows I've never seen, and BG fits the bill. Plus you've assuaged any fears I may have had about it. :)

Anonymous said...

i second BG. it's my second favorite show on television (#1 is already in your queue).

most people who like battlestar galactica will preface their effusive praise of the show with some variation of "i hate sci-fi, but..."

btw, my gf and i are getting into veronica mars, you'd be pleased to hear. becky characterizes veronica mars, in terms of tone (definitely not plot), as a "less-weird version of wonderfalls."

Anonymous said...

If Huff (Season 1) or Big Love are on DVD yet, I'd recommend them (in that order). MIke

Alicia K. said...

i've already seen all of big love (it's actually half the reason i got hbo) but i'll look into huff. Thanks!!

Anonymous said...

Blythe Danner just won an emmy for her role on Huff! Season 2 wasn't as good as the first season, and yet she still won.

Anonymous said...

The Adventures of Pete and Pete
Eerie, Indiana
Gormenghast

I'm FINALLY settling down to watch Buffy the Vampire Slayer, myself. I'd never seen an episode before this year! It's slow-going, trying to fit scary TV into my lifestyle (can't let he kids watch it....) And I'm still just barely towards the end of season 2. But it's so much more fun to watch a TV show after the fact.

Alicia K. said...

heh, i totally own pete and pete. that was my favorite show when i was a kid.

i'll check out the other two--thanks!!

ah, buffy . . . i have all the seasons but the last one on dvd.