Sunday, December 23, 2012

2012 book 366

Kirsten Miller's Kiki Strike: The Darkness Dwellers
I've been waiting for a new Kiki Strike book for four years now, and was worried at first that this could never live up to my expectations--it's a little bit of a slow starter, the Irregulars are split up on separate adventures, and there are some thoroughly unlikable characters. But at some point my antipathy melted away and I was completely caught up in the story, which did in fact live up to the first two Kiki Strike books, and lays the groundwork for some new adventures (or so I hope!). There are some marvelous moments in the catacombs of Paris, a historical mystery involving spies, and even a touch of romance. And it all came together in a great ending with some really nice takeaways. A/A-.


__
A review copy was provided by the publisher. This book will be released in January.

No comments: