Monday, November 25, 2013

2013 book 300

Liane Moriarty's The Husband's Secret
For the past couple of years, my sister and I have had what we call Thanksgiving Sister Book Club, where we read a book we might not normally read and then chat about it over fro-yo (it's GREAT!). My sister had expressed some interest in reading this one, and though initially I was turned off by the title, the cover, and the premise, I realized Moriarty wrote a book I enjoyed and figured, what the heck. Butttttttt I really didn't like this book. It has three plotlines involving a bunch of intersecting characters--one involving the titular husband's secret, as revealed in a secret letter; another, involving a woman whose husband and cousin/best friend have fallen in love, and a third, involving a woman whose daughter was murdered almost 30 years earlier. But almost all the characters are somewhere between unbearable and reprehensible.  And I absolutely hated the end. The last line is soooo dumb. This book was written for the book groups that drink a lot of wine and shriek about crazy decisions made by the characters and their dysfunctional relationships. Which is fine, it's just not really my thing. C.

No comments: