Saturday, January 18, 2014

2014 book 19

Gabrielle Zevin's The Storied Life of A.J. Fikrey
I devoured this book. I just ate it up. It is basically a love letter to book-lovers everywhere. I can think of few authors as versatile as Zevin (who has written, among other things, a YA trilogy set in a near future where chocolate is illegal) and I really love what she's done here, in the story of a recently widowed bookseller, a publishing sales rep, and an abandoned toddler, and how books bring them--and other characters--together. Does it veer mildly into cheesy/overly-neat territory? Yes, but it is no less delightful for that, and I think most people don't mind that anyway. I just adored this, and it made me want to give up my informal ban on short stories. Really a GREAT book for fellow word nerds. A.

__
A review copy was provided by the publisher. This book will be released in April.

No comments: