Monday, March 02, 2015

2015 book 52

S.K. Tremayne's The Ice Twins
S.K. Tremayne is the pseudonym of a London travel writer, apparently. I spent too much of this book wondering whether s/he was a man or a woman (I eventually decided Tremayne is a man), not that it matters really, except that I'd rather spend my time supporting women authors and I resent this silly obliqueness. Anyway, this crazy book centers on a family with identical twin daughters, except one of the twins died over a year earlier, and now the other one is insisting SHE'S the one who supposedly died and her mother is like OH SHIT, did we seriously mix them up? (But like, wouldn't the living twin have corrected the identity error at some point in the previous year?) Not to mention that the parents' marriage is a bit rocky, and the husband definitely has a secret. And now they've all moved to a weird deserted island in Scotland! Now, I am not super into creepy books, but Tremayne really misses some opportunities to make this one creepier, i.e., stronger. It is mildly creepy at best when it wants to be SUPER creepy (some information mentioned toward the end needed to come a lot sooner). And Tremayne also does some stuff that pops up 3/4 of the way through that just feels way over-the-top and like a time-waster. I also had some major issues with the way the mother was portrayed. It's a quick read, though? I don't know. B/B-?

__
A review copy was provided by the publisher. This book will be released in May.

No comments: