Thursday, June 16, 2016

2016 book 107

Tamora Pierce's Wild Magic
After seeing adult Daine--who has magical powers with animals--in action in the Protector of the Small series, I was excited to check out this earlier series by Pierce and get her whole story. I didn't really feel this though. I didn't love the way Pierce wrote her (particularly her dialogue, which had some really inconsistent dialect going on), and also just had mixed feelings about her as a character (whereas usually I am rooting for Pierce's heroines in a major way). She is just kind of blah, despite her cool animal powers! It was all just a little too overly written for my taste. I also admit that knowing adult Daine ends up with the guy who is her much older teacher here squicked me out a little. Like, how is that going to go down? I'm not sure I'm going to read the sequels--are they better? B/B-.

No comments: