Saturday, August 25, 2018

2018 book 129

Rebecca Roanhorse's Trail of Lightning 
I feel like I have been waiting to read this book FOREVERRRRRR, especially as Roanhorse's short story "Welcome to your Authentic Indian Experience TM" was sweeping up all the speculative fiction awards this season. I kind of worried that I had expectations that were too high going into this, but it lived up to them and then some. It's a post-apocalyptic urban fantasy type deal (or whatever the Western non-actually-urban version is), steeped in Native American folklore. It centers on a young woman with mysterious powers who is a monster-hunter--because while most of the world has collapsed, the gods and monsters of Navajo culture have risen. Parts of this are pretty dark and violent, which is not usually my thing, but I found the protagonist and the other characters tamd their journeys to be interesting enough to keep going. This is the first in a series and I look forward to seeing what happens next. A-.

No comments: