Wednesday, October 10, 2018

2018 book 155

Rena Rossner's The Sisters of the Winter Wood
If there is one thing I am HERE FOR, it is explicitly Jewish fantasy novels, though this particular one did not work for me. It's the story of a pair of sisters, told in alternating viewpoints (one speaks poem-style and I was not into it). Their parents have to leave town for family reasons, but before they leave, their mother reveals some family secrets. And then weird things start happening in the woods, and something is stirring up anti-Semitic feelings in the town. Unfortunately, this is one of those stories where I found the characters/narrative voices to be kind of frustrating(ly stupid) and repetitive, and I became impatient for things to wrap up. especially when the villains become even more sinister (and evil to Jewish ppl). Just unpleasant stuff. B-.

No comments: