Wednesday, April 03, 2019

2019 book 46

K. Chess' Famous Men Who Never Lived
Literary novels about things like multiverses are my catnip, y'all. This one centers on Hel, a woman whose version of America was beset by terrorism and nuclear war, so when a portal to our version was created, 156,000 people made it through before the world apparently ended on the other side. Now Hel is obsessed with why the timelines split, and with starting a museum to preserve her world's lost culture. Meanwhile, her partner is more interested in assimilation. I thought this was a really interesting book--great concept and world-building--but it kind of went off the rails for me a little bit. Like I needed it either to settle on being an action-packed sort of story or a psychological one. I did like it a lot--I found the end to be satisfying--but parts of the middle felt a bit muddled. Still, a cool take on multiverses, if you are into that sort of thing! B/B+.

No comments: