Sunday, May 05, 2019

2019 book 59

Taffy Brodesser-Akner's Fleishman is in Trouble
The entire internet seems to be buzzing about this book, and I love the author's essays and profiles, so I was psyched to read her first novel. But it left me a little bit cold. It centers on a 41-year-old man, in the process of divorcing, who's trying to be a good dad to his kids and a good doctor where he works, except he’s obsessed with hooking up with women via dating apps. Like I really needed about 80 percent less of this guy and his horny thoughts. Once we meet the narrator, things are a little more interesting, and I liked the last say 20 percent a lot (the end is amazing), but I just was not feeling this. Maybe it’s because I’m not married and don’t have kids, and it seems to be thinking deeply about those subjects? Or maybe because so much of it is about a dude thinking about all the ladies he is banging or wants to bang. Maybe both! But the more I think about it, the more depressing I find it. B.

__
A review copy was provided by the publisher. This book will be released in June.

No comments: