Monday, August 12, 2019

2019 book 95

Mary H.K. Choi's Permanent Record
I really liked Choi's first book; the characters and situations felt really real and relatable. So I was psyched for her second, but this one was a little bit harder for me to buy into. The narrator is a college dropout, working at a bodega, struggling to get his life together, and his love interest . . . is an Ariana Grande-esque pop star. I mean, Choi does a good job with the characters and writing, the romance just has a Disney channel movie feel to it (which is funny, as that's where the pop star got her start). And then things go in directions I didn’t entirely expect, but appreciated. I really liked how this wrapped up and will definitely keep reading books by Choi. A-/B+.

__
A review copy was provided by the publisher. This book will be released in September.

No comments: