Wednesday, October 02, 2019

2019 book 120

T. Kingfisher's The Twisted Ones
I had a real quandary here, because I don’t like reading horror stories (I get creeped out super easily), but I read basically everything Ursula Vernon writes! So of course I had to give this a shot. I will say that it is apparently full of literary references to classic/pulp horror stories, but I have never read any of those and missed all of that. SHRUG. Anyway, this is about a woman from Pittsburgh (yay!), a copy editor, who has to head down to North Carolina to clean out her recently deceased hoarder grandmother's house. And then weird things start happening. This was definitely creepy, but full of Vernon's trademark down-to-earth characters, which I appreciated. I especially liked the bold lipstick wearing elderly neighbor and whenever the protagonist's inner editor took over. There is also a hound dog, clearly modeled on real hound dogs Vernon has known. Anyway, this wasn’t my favorite of her books, but it’s not really a genre I’m into. I still liked it a lot. And kind of regret reading it after dark. B+.

No comments: