Tuesday, February 11, 2020

2020 book 32

T. Kingfisher's Paladin's Grace
YAYYYY a new Ursula Vernon book!!! A breath of fresh air in these troubled times. This one is set in her Clocktaur/Swordheart world, but is a standalone story--a ROMANCE! I love the way she writes romances so am very here for this. Our hero is a paladin whose god has died, and now he serves in the Temple of the White Rat (the lawyers/healers in this world). He is also a KNITTER! Our heroine is a perfumer (whose best friend and landlady is a spy!), dealing with past heartache. They have a similar vibe to the couple in Swordheart, but I liked that couple, so I was okay with that. I also liked that one character from Swordheart plays a role here. There is also a whole thing with an attempted assassination, as well as a subplot involving severed heads. But Vernon balances the gore with fluff nicely. It looks like she’s working on more books set in this world and I will be psyched to read them! A/A-.

No comments: