Tuesday, March 24, 2020

2020 book 65

NK Jemisin's The City We Became
I was saying just the other day that, even though all these new books were coming out that I had planned on reading, I only was in the mood to reread comforting series. And then I got the notice that my preorder of this book was available and was like, HELL YES. Because I knew it would be satisfying and interesting and GOOD, and it was. This is the first of a trilogy where some cities come alive; here, New York is waking up, but an enemy is determined to stop it, and is coming for the people serving as avatars of its boroughs. I gather Jemisin is playing in the Lovecraft sandbox here, but I’ve never read any Lovecraft and still thought this was great. And it’s satisfying on its own, so though of course I am eager to read the next book, I don’t feel frustrated at having to wait. Go read this now. A.

No comments: