Thursday, June 11, 2020

2020 book 120

Jasmine Guillory’s Party of Two
I think this is my favorite Jasmine Guillory book yet, because it doesn’t have any dumb refusals to discuss feeeeeelings, just legit issues that need to be worked through. It centers on a  (Black)lawyer, moving to LA to start her own firm (she's the sister of Alexa from the previous books), who meets a cute (white) guy at a hotel bar . . . who also happens to be a hotshot young Senator. I liked both of these characters a lot, and found their struggles (separately and together) to be pretty compelling. I did wish the friend characters were more fleshed out, instead of just being sounding board stand-ins, but on the whole I liked this a lot. A/A-.

__
A review copy was provided by the publisher. This book will be released on June 23rd.

No comments: