Wednesday, September 09, 2020

2020 book 175

 C.L. Polk's The Midnight Bargain

I love a historical fantasy, which this isn’t, because it’s explicitly set in a fantasy world (the fancy rich people are Black!), but it has a real Regency/Austen kind of feel. So our heroine is on the marriage market, but is determined to avoid marriage and use her magic to become a sorceress, because married women are prevented from using magic until menopause. Except her family reallllly needs her to marry well because they are deep in debt. And the richest guy in town is super cute and sympathetic, and his sister stole a magical book she needs, and maybe they should band together to solve their magical problems caused by patriarchal societies? I liked the relationships between the main three a lot, but did think the story spun in circles for a chapter or two too long (I love him! But I don’t want to lose my magic! Etc etc). Still a really fun read, and reminds me I’ve been meaning to check out Polk's Witchmark series. Nadi 4-eva! A-.


__

A review copy was provided by the publisher. This book will be released in October.

No comments: