Sunday, November 14, 2021

2021 book 230

 Connie Willis' Bellwether

Willis is kind of hit or miss for me (though her hits are big hits!), so when I saw someone mention this as a fun light book I decided to check it out. It’s sort of a corporate satire, about a social scientist studying trends who encounters a chaos theorist at work. It does have a sort of archly amusing vibe, but there is an undertone of crotchety “kids these days” that didn’t really work with a thirty year old protagonist (she is weirdly mad about anti smoking initiatives?? Like public health concerns aren’t a fad! And she brings this up a LOT). This was written in the mid 90s so is hilariously dated at times. I enjoyed reading this, it was like a workplace screwball comedy, but it didn’t one hundred percent work for me. B+.

No comments: