Monday, January 10, 2022

2022 book 7

 Lina Rather's Sisters of the Forsaken Stars

I should have reread the first book in this series before starting this one, because all I remembered was that it was about nuns in space and that I liked it a lot. And I think this one does an okay, but not great job of reminding the reader of the plot and re-introducing the characters. The other issue here is that this doesn’t have much plot of its own to speak of—the nuns' actions of the first book seem to have started fomenting a rebellion, they have two new people aboard, and one former nun is on a different spaceship starting a new life. But it’s a novella, none of these stories have any space to develop, the new characters are given short shrift (which is a major detriment to the plot), it’s all just kind of frustrating. I would have read a whole book about the wild liveship colony and there are like three pages. I just didn’t care about anything that was happening because I wasn’t invested in any of it. I don’t know how differently I’d feel if I had reread the first one, but I think the plot issues/lack of character and plot development are still a major problem. B.


__

A review copy was provided by the publisher. This book will be released on February 15th.

No comments: