Friday, February 11, 2022

2022 book 25

 Rebecca Podos' From Dust, a Flame

Ok, now HERE is a book for which I am the target audience, as it is super queer AND steeped in Jewish folklore. Our protagonist is teenage Hannah, who's spent her childhood with her mother and older brother moving every few months. When she wakes up one morning with very weird eyes, and wakes up every morning after that with a new non-human feature, her mother vows to find help. But she doesn’t come back. Now it’s up to her and her brother to solve the mystery, find out their family history, and save the day—with the help of a pink haired girl who knows a lot about Jewish history (heart eye emoji). Great characters, great story, I really loved seeing my culture in this way. Parts of it toward the beginning were a little too Judaism 101 explainer for my taste, but not every reader is a giant Jewish nerd like I am, sooooo, shrug. I really enjoyed this. A.


__

A review copy was provided by the publisher. This book will be released in March. 

I hope the ARC isn’t the final version, because there was a right to left issue with a crucial Hebrew word and the letters are reversed in the copy I have. 

No comments: