Sunday, May 22, 2022

2022 book 88

 Linda Holmes' Flying Solo

I was in a mood and I was also mad that the last couple books I read were just MEH, so treated myself to the new Linda Holmes, which I knew would be good. And it was! It’s about a woman, about to turn forty, who returns to her hometown to clean out her beloved great aunt's house, where she gets interested in the story of a wooden duck she finds (luckily her high school boyfriend is now the local librarian). Lots of laugh out loud moments, and I will say as a single forty-something woman I found this protagonist very relatable. I also appreciated that while there was a romance, there was a lot to show that there is something to be said for living your life the way you want to (lots of cool old ladies in this book). I did have to suspend my disbelief a LITTLE that a freelance nature writer could take so much time off work, but otherwise this was a satisfying read for sure. A/A-.


__

A review copy was provided by the publisher. This book will be released in June.

No comments: