Monday, August 14, 2023

2023 book 157

 John Scalzi's The End of All Things

I have said on this blog many times before that I love sentient AIs, and I especially love spaceships with feelings. But y’all…. this is not what I meant! In the last book, we found out that the bad guys were stealing ships and killing their crews and using their pilot's brain to run the whole ship, and the narrator of the first part is one such brain in a box spaceship. I was very invested in that character and was annoyed when the next POV started, even though it’s a character I like. Like the previous book, this one is interconnected stories, but four novellas this time (so we see the spaceship again). I have mixed feelings on how that worked to wrap up this series, and how it’s used to try and address the moral ambiguities of the organization that a bunch of the characters work for. Still, a quick read and a fairly satisfying end to the series. A-.

No comments: