Friday, November 10, 2006

2006 book 127

Suzanne Berne's The Ghost at the Table
Not to sound like a kiss-ass, since I'm vaguely acquainted with several past and present employees, but Algonquin books is putting out some pretty great stuff these days, including this book, which centers on a woman who joins her somewhat dysfunctional family for Thanksgiving (timely reading!). Their past hurts and estrangements are somewhat paralleled with the main character's book-in-progress on Mark Twain's daughters. I am giving it an A-, because I liked it enough to read it all in one sitting, but I had some mixed feelings about the ending (mainly the feeling that I didn't like it that much).

Meanwhile, RIGHT NOW is the Audubon Park/Erie Choir cd release party. I am sure that it is an amazingly rockin' good time, and I am sad not to be there--though the antics of the kitten trying to bring down all the hangers in my closet are pretty entertaining.

No comments: