Sunday, November 26, 2006

another holiday-related rant

As someone who's co-hosted a radio show with a Chrismukkah theme for the past few years (sigh, it's the end of an era now that I live ten hours away), I've always bemoaned the lack of Hanukkah music to play. I'm not even really talking good Hanukkah music, but any Hanukkah music.

So as I was happily knitting away while watching a Law and Oder: CI marathon, I got my hopes up a little when a commercial came on for a new Bette Midler holiday cd. "Sweet!" I thought to myself. "She's Jewish! Maybe if I ever get to do another Chrismukkah show, I'll have more than three songs to play!" I mean, I'm not a die-hard Bette fan or anything, but she's got plenty of camp value, and it's better than not having any Hanukkah songs. Or just that Adam Sandler one.

But check this cd out. It's ALL Christmas songs! And I guarantee her version of "Mele Kalikimaka" won't come anywhere near Bing Crosby's.

What gives, Bette? Where's your Hanukkah pride?? I am aiming the tsk-tsk finger at you! Shame!

At least the Leevees are trying to make fun Hanukkah songs. Good for you guys! "How Do You Spell Chunnukkahh?" is destined to be a holiday classic.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

things that don't make a whole lot of sense to me:

(other than from a financial standpoint)

Christmas-only albums from:

Neil Diamond
Barry Manilow
Bette Midler

I'm sure there are more....

Alicia K. said...

i don't think i even knew barry manilow was jewish, but honestly, nothing he does surprises me, b/c he is extremely lame.

but neil diamond! i guess he really DID reject his jewish roots when he remade "the jazz singer" and played a cantor's son. i'm actually a little sad he stooped so low as to make a christmas album. i mean, he wrote "i'm a believer."