Monday, February 23, 2015

2015 book 45

Laura van Den Berg's Find Me
Ooh, it's a pandemic story! So it's the near future, and there's a pandemic, some form of Creuzfeldt-Jakob disease, where people get weird skin lesions and lose their memories and motor functions and then die. Our protagonist is a young woman living in a hospital with other people exposed to the virus, quarantined for the 10-month incubation period, undergoing scores of medical tests. It's the sort of story that relies more on atmosphere than a strictly logical plot, and terrible things happen to children, which I am really not into reading about. If I'd known this was another strong-writing-with-disturbing-content kind of books, I wouldn't have read it. I mean, it has its good points for sure--the ending was pretty good, though I wondered how, like, adopted children/adoptive parents would feel about it. I don't know, this had SO MUCH buzz and wasn't at all what I was expecting. B.

No comments: