Sunday, September 08, 2019

2019 book 109

Jacqueline Woodson’s Red At The Bone
Woodson's Another Brooklyn was one of my favorite books in recent years, so I was super excited for this one, her second novel for adults. It didn’t quite resonate with me as much, but I still thought it was great. It centers on the family of a teen girl, doing a coming of age ceremony, and flashes back and forth through time as various relatives narrate their stories. The story touches on class issues, race issues, family, education, and more. I did wish for a little more, especially of Iris. I’ve seen comparisons of Woodson's adult novels to Toni Morrison's and I don’t totally disagree, but a lot of Morrison's works feel meatier. Still, this is a very strong book and a quick and engrossing read. A/A-.

__
A review copy was provided by the publisher. This book will be released on September 17th.

No comments: