Tuesday, September 10, 2019

2019 book 111

Margaret Atwood's The Testaments
Ooh y'all, the unexpected sequel to The Handmaid's Tale is here, and it lives up to the hype. It's set fifteen years after its predecessor, narrated by two young girls who've come of age in this new order--one a cherished daughter in Gilead, and one a regular girl up in Canada. There is also a third narrator--Aunt Lydia, from the first book. Eventually, their stories start to come together, and there are some really great women friendships and rivalries and some potent moments here. I will say that I kiiiiiiind of felt like this story cheapens the original book and its powerful ambiguity. It’s a great book, don’t get me wrong, but I am not sure it’s a /necessary/ one.

If you're wondering how this reads to someone who stopped watching the show after the third episode (too upsetting, and then I heard it went off the rails in season two): I kind of felt like I was maybe missing stuff, but nothing crucial. I did read an interview that implied this and the show share a continuity, or at least Atwood made sure the show didn't contradict the book. But it reads fine on its own. A/A-.

No comments: