Monday, November 04, 2019

2019 book 139

Steph Cha's Your House Will Pay
Cha is the author of the Juniper Song mysteries, which are not really my bag, but I wanted to read this stand-alone from her as it was getting great reviews. It's set in LA and focuses on two families--one African-American, one Korean-American--in the early 90s and in the present day. And I was totally caught up from the first page--just super compelling characters and narrative voices, and the suspense really draws you in. The murder at the heart of this story is based on a real murder (which I think I learned about from OJ: Made in America) and Cha does a lot to bring it back to life and show how the issues it raised are just as relevant now. This dragged a teensy bit for me in the middle but on the whole was a really powerful meditation on race and community and family. A-.

No comments: