Saturday, November 23, 2019

2019 book 148

Audrey Coulthurst's Inkmistress
This was described to me as a story involving magic, lesbians, and dragons, and I like all of those things, so figured I'd check it out. It centers on a young demi-god with various powers, but most importantly (and secretly): whatever she writes in her blood comes true. But not always in the ways she intended. So when her girlfriend needs help, she does some blood-writing, and things go very badly. Now she has to leave her isolated mountain and journey around to uncover the secrets behind her powers, etc. I liked the way the author uses magic here, but the writing was kind of awkward, I was not invested in the romance, and I found the protagonist really frustrating and clueless. I also found the ending disappointing on a number of levels. It kind of renders the entire rest of the book pointless. Just . . . not great. B-.

No comments: