Wednesday, March 24, 2021

2021 book 69

 Kiley Reid's Such a Fun Age

I'll be upfront: I did not want to read this book. I know it got good reviews, but I am not interested in contemporary fiction/Issues books right now. (Especially fiction where the book club guide includes THEMED COCKTAILS. But hey, good for a young black woman to get in on the wine mom book club market.) I mean, I already know white women are terrible, I don't want to read a whole book where I'm cringing about it. But of course I am not a /total/ dictator over my own (non-wine-mom) book club, so here we are.

All that is to say that I didn’t really like this book, but not for the reasons I was expecting? I mean, it’s a fine book, just I personally was not into it. Emira and her friends are all really well written, and I’d have rather read a book about them. I have a lot of thoughts about Alix, mainly that she sucked, and her friend Tamra was not remotely believable. I am curious to see what my book club makes of this. I can see why it is so popular with liberal white ladies, certainly. I’m going back to my genre fiction, though. B.

No comments: