Saturday, June 17, 2023

2023 book 111

 Bess Kalb's Nobody Will Tell You This But Me

It’s been a looooong time since I read any non-fiction,but Christina read this recently and said it reminded her of the way I talked about my Bubbe, and I’ve been thinking of my Bubbe a lot lately because of the whole thing where I’m going to be on Jeopardy next week (she was still alive when I first auditioned several years ago and was SOOOO excited, she was planning a watch party for all the old Jewish ladies in her building and was going to have shirts made). Anyway. So this is the story of Bess Kalb's grandmother, told in her own voice as imagined by Kalb, interspersed with voice mails and actual conversations they had. It’s not a full biography, but more the story of their relationship, which was very moving, and reminded me of both of my grandmothers. Very funny and heartbreaking. A/A-.

No comments: