Saturday, June 24, 2023

2023 book 115

 Rachel Neumeier's House of Shadows

Somehow I had completely missed the existence of this book and its sequel, so I was excited to get to treat myself to more by Rachel Neumeier! This one involves eight sisters who, after their father's death, have to figure out how to make money. One of the older girls goes off to get trained as a sort of courtesan (this is a respectable and fancy thing in this world) and one of the middle ones ends up apprenticed to a mage. The latter is one of the POV characters, along with a young woman who works where the courtesans are trained, and a sorcerer from an enemy country who gets drawn into an assassination plot. Lots of interesting characters here, and I loved all three of the protagonists. AND there were very cool cats! Lots of magical adventures and humor. I could easily have read this in one sitting if I hadn’t had to go to sleep! Can’t wait to check out the sequel. A/A-.

No comments: