Saturday, September 02, 2023

2023 book 166

 Margaret Rogerson's Sorcery of Thorns

I liked Rogerson's Vespertine a lot so am finally getting around to trying one of her earlier books. I didn’t like this one as much but it had some cool moments. The main character is a girl who’s been raised in a library full of magical, maybe evil books, but when someone starts sabotaging the magical libraries, she’s drawn into a bunch of adventures. Which makes this sound really fun, but it’s darker than that. I loved the main character and wished we saw more of her with her best friend. The male hero and his demon were also great characters, I wished the romance had been toned down a little bit but it was fine. Some of the writing was just overly dramatic, but that is often the case with YA fantasy. There is a sequel novella which I will check out because apparently it involves a magical house, and I like those as much as I like spaceships with personalities. B/B+.

No comments: