Sunday, September 03, 2023

2023 book 168

 Janice Hallett's The Appeal

I enjoyed Hallett's The Twyford Code, and this has a similar cool framing device: it’s all emails and texts, mainly between the people in a small dramatic society about their upcoming play, with the occasional sidebar from two lawyers who are reading said correspondence. I will say this is a little bit slow to start, because while it’s clear something shady is going on, it’s not clear why lawyers are involved until like 2/3 in. And the framing device wobbles toward the end, as their boss sends them additional correspondence and clues to help them figure it out. But the characters are pretty gripping (I said “oh my god, you are SUCH a PSYCHO” out loud at least twice) and I did enjoy seeing the mystery unravel (and being right about a couple things). B+.

No comments: