Sunday, October 04, 2026

2026 book 207

 Riley Bauer’s Worth the Trade

After reading a series of slow historical fantasy novels, obviously I needed to read a smutty gay hockey novel as a palate cleanser! This is the start of a new series in Bauer’s hockey-verse, where the Finnish guy with the last kitten from the previous series gets traded to a new team. Yes, this series also has cats! (I so related to the cat screaming in his carrier for a whole longass drive to a new home, the worst.) Anyway, the traded guy is staying with a new teammate, who’s the brother of a former teammate, and they fall for each other. (At least one of the other books in the previous series had the same roommate premise, minus the brothers, but whatever.) Instead of group chats about hockey romances, this team watches old teleromans (French telenovelas???) to improve the Finnish guy’s French, which is pretty funny. The romance has the usual annoying communication issues, just once I wish the third act conflict would be something else! I also wish these books had one more pass with a proof-reader, bc once again I saw a repeated cat sentence (obviously I pay the most attention to the cats) as well as an incorrect apostrophe. These books are well-written otherwise! I will keep reading smutty hockey books I guess! They’re fun. I don’t even like smut but there’s cats! A-/B+.

No comments: