Friday, January 01, 2021

2021 book 1

 Helen S. Wright's A Matter of Oaths

Always weird to be back at the beginning of my yearly book count, but this was a solid read to start things off! Originally published in 1988, this was reissued a couple years ago (with an introduction by Becky Chambers), and honestly doesn't feel dated at all. It’s about the crew of a spaceship, where some people are sort of connected to the ship to control it and communicate with one another, and the larger political situation between the Guild that controls them and two squabbling Emperors. The ship's commander is a surly woman nearing the end of her career who takes on a new senior hire with a mysterious past. All of the characters were compelling and I really liked how the plot unfolded, though I did want a teensy bit more from the end. But if you want an interesting sci-fi book to read, this one is a winner. A-.

1 comment:

Dearbhla said...

I was going to say that I read this last year, but I just double checked and it was actually 2016! that I read it in. Really enjoyed it and would love to read more by the author, but I don't think she has any more books.