Tuesday, January 19, 2021

2021 book 18

 Kristin Cashore's Bitterblue

A fourth book in Cashore's Graceling series is coming out, but since it seems mainly focused on Bitterblue, and since I remembered the first two as being a little more violent, I skipped those and just reread this one so things would be fresh in my mind. Of course, while this one doesn't have a ton of overt violence (aside from some assassination attempts), it does deal heavily with people processing (or not processing) trauma from being physically and mentally tortured by their former king, and so there are a lot of /references/ to terrible things. The main thrust of the story is the titular Bitterblue, a young queen who starts sneaking out at night to see what's really going on in her kingdom, befriends some thieves/rebels, and forces everyone to confront their issues. There is also an awesome crotchety librarian. I mean, don’t get me wrong, this is pretty dark for a YA fantasy, but it’s also sort of optimistic? Anyway, I am psyched to get to read more in this world.

No comments: