Tuesday, May 25, 2021

2021 book 117

 E.K. Johnston's Aetherbound

I’m generally a big fan of Johnston's stuff, but this felt a little thinner than some of her previous work. It’s a fairly straightforward sci-fi novel about a girl on a long-haul ship whose family treats her as worthless when she turns out to have a specific power (which seems like an awesome power to have so this makes little sense), and she runs away, and makes a new life for herself with new friends. And that is all great! But the second half just felt underbaked to me. I wanted more character development and more relationship development. And the ending could have been more climactic! I mean I loved the protagonist and the world here is interesting (and maybe there is a sequel coming?) but it just didn’t engross me as much as it could have. B/B+.

No comments: