Saturday, July 23, 2022

2022 book 120

 Rebecca Ross' A River Enchanted

This is I think a Scottish-inspired fantasy novel (or at least everyone is wearing plaids), about a young man who was born and raised on a mysterious island full of spirits, and the island is divided in half between two warring clans, and ten years ago he was sent away to be a bard, but now he’s been summoned home because local girls are going missing and they need his help to ask the spirits. Also, he has a little sister his mother never told him about. Other POV characters are his childhood enemy, now the heiress to the clan; her cousin, the captain of the guard; and his wife, the local healer. There is a lot going on here! I was interested in the characters and the magic, though the writing was occasionally overwrought, and towards the end I was finding things very unsatisfying, but there is clearly a sequel in the works. I am invested in several of the characters so I will probably read it. B+.

No comments: