Tuesday, July 26, 2022

2022 book 122

 Claudia Gray's Into the Dark

I’ve been wanting to get into the Star Wars High Republic books, but they’re like a whole series by a bunch of different authors and it was weird and confusing. And I started the official first one, Light of the Jedi, and was just not into it. But I read enough to get the gist of the precipitating event, and figured I’d try this one, since I like Claudia Gray. And it turns out this is actually a perfect starting point, since it covers some of the same ground, but with other characters. Anyway, the main character here is a bookish young padawan (finally, a Jedi I can relate to), who’s dismayed to learn he’s being sent to join his master at the frontier,  because he’d rather chill in the archives. But when he and his ship (with a small crew and three other Jedi, all POV characters to varying degrees) run into the hyperspace explosion disaster, they end up at a mysterious abandoned space station. Great characters and pacing here, a very satisfying read. A/A-.

No comments: