Wednesday, January 25, 2023

2023 book 18

 Cherie Dimaline's VenCo

I really WANTED to love this book. It’s blurbed by Louise Erdrich! It’s about a group of diverse witches who have to unite to form a coven (take a second look at that title) to save the world from being, you know, our current world! But there is just too much going on, too many characters, too much stuff that has to be explained that gets interrupted, it just keeps jumping around way too much. Also an immortal witchhunter is trying to stop them by any means necessary and he has some creepy sex magic going on, and all of that made me anxious (I said “what the fuck” out loud a lot during his scenes). But the main problem here is that I never got invested in these characters /felt like they were real. The dialogue never feels real. I'm bummed that I didn’t like this. B.


__

A review copy was provided by the publisher. This book will be released on February 7th.

No comments: