Tuesday, January 03, 2023

2023 book 3

 Annalee Newitz's The Terraformers

So this wasn’t a book where I was like “omg what is gonna happen next???” but it was a book where I was like “this is pretty interesting and I like these characters! Let’s keep going!” It’s set in the far future and, as the title suggests, is about people terraforming a new planet. There are some interesting conflicts between corporations and environmental groups and lots of cool reveals along the way. The description makes it seem like it’s just one person's story, but it actually covers several generations on this planet as we see the situation, and the planet, evolve, and each new cohort tries to figure out the best way to thrive. Like I said, /great/ characters here, I was partial to Whiskey (a moose), Moose (a cat journalist), and Scrubjay (I won’t say more about Scrubjay as that’s a spoiler). There are human-y people too, and some cool robots. I will just say that like, if you think current capitalism is bad, just wait till you get a load of future capitalism. Big yikes!! This is being marketed as “hopeful” and I don’t think that’s /quite/ the word I’d use. But a good read. A-/B+.


__

A review copy was provided by the publisher. This book will be released on January 31st.

No comments: