Wednesday, February 15, 2023

2023 book 32

 Janice Hallett's The Twyford Code

This is about a guy who's gotten out of prison after a long time, and he's trying to stay on the straight and narrow, but when he starts to ask around about a teacher who went missing from a school trip when he was a kid, he's suddenly sucked into a whole thing with a secret code in a series of WWII-era children's books. This is interspersed with memories of what led him to prison. Now there is an interesting framing device here, where we're reading transcripts of his voice memos and garbled phone calls and the like, but like halfway through I was like, is this going to come into play again? What's REALLY going on? Not to say that I wasn't entirely engaged, because I was, I was just... trying to solve the mystery! I did figure part of it out, but the end still took me by surprise (in a good way). Very fun read. A-.

No comments: