Saturday, July 29, 2023

2023 book 143

 Seanan McGuire’s The Innocent Sleep

Obviously after reading the 17th Toby Daye book, I had to dive right into book 18, which comes out a month later and covers the previous book's antics from Tybalt's point of view. In the regular series, Tybalt often talks in an old-fashioned way that I find affected and annoying, but I liked his narrative voice here a lot. I also like that over the course of this series, McGuire has built up a big back bench of supporting characters that can support a whole second novel covering the same events. Though there is eventually some overlap/repeated dialogue which maybe makes it better if you read them a month apart as intended. Lots of great moments in this one, including an epic Costco run. I am super curious about where this series is going next! A/A-.


__

A review copy was provided by the publisher. This book will be released in October.

No comments: