Monday, May 13, 2024

2024 book 90

 Sharon Shinn's Echoes in Onyx

I've been having a hard time getting into books lately, but luckily I had this unread Sharon Shinn trilogy saved for a rainy day (or a reading rut), since I always enjoy her writing and world-building. This is set in in a fantasy world where nobles sometimes have mysterious copies of themselves, and the main character is a young woman who becomes the lady's maid for a noblewoman with three such echoes. I thought this would be a fairly typical court politics story but soon enough there are clumsy attempts to cover up a murder AND secret lesbians. And of course the protagonist's love interest is investigating the murder. I actually really liked how this wrapped up, even though I was uncertain of that along the way. B+.

No comments: