Sunday, May 26, 2024

2024 book 95

 Moniquill Blackgoose's To Shape A Dragon's Breath

Rereading this for book club and I think I liked it even more the second time. There are still some bits that I think could have been pared down/more subtle, but I was way less distracted this time trying to translate all the words/places. I was like it’s just a fantasy novel, it’s fine, go with the flow! I mean, also I knew that I loved the characters and was way more focused on them. Anyway, this is the story of an indigenous girl in a version of North America that was colonized more by Vikings/Northern Europeans, and what happens when she bonds with a baby dragon and has to go to a dragon-training school run by white people (because her people have lost their dragon raising lore). A lot of people are super racist to her but she also makes some cool friends and continues to buck the system! With a baby dragon! So good and I hope the next book is announced soon.

No comments: