Friday, May 17, 2024

2024 book 93

 Rufi Thorpe's Margo's Got Money Troubles

Y’all, I have really liked all of Rufi Thorpe's previous books, so I had high expectations, and this WAY exceeded them. It’s SO GOOD. It’s about a nineteen year old girl in junior college who gets pregnant after a brief affair with one of her professors, and decides to keep the baby, assuming things will work out. But then she loses her waitressing job bc she has no childcare, and her roommates move out because they don’t want to live with a baby. And that’s when her former pro wrestler dad shows up and moves in, and she decides to try and make money on OnlyFans. And also, the whole thing alternates between first and third person, so you’re aware that this character is writing a novel of her life. Even when I was worried for the characters, I was totally engrossed, this absolutely hooked me from page one and was beautiful and moving and weird and bittersweet. Definitely going to be on my favorites of the year list. A. 


__

A review copy was provided by the publisher. This book will be released in June.

No comments: