Tuesday, February 21, 2006

adventures in foodstuffs


P2210008
Originally uploaded by wordnerdy.
i made bread again! i actually wanted to try making challah, but the recipe i had (from temple sinai's "incredible edibles" cookbook, circa 1988) just kept being too sticky, no matter how much flour i added! it came out ok as a big loaf and a mini-me loaf, and my apartment smells SO GOOD OH MY GOD.

in other awesome food news, i finally ran across some girl scouts today and stocked up on cookies, so now my coworkers and library patrons won't have to listen to my "where are the girl scouts?!???? i need some cookies!!! i can't believe i went home sick the day they were on campus" rant again (at least until next year).

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

We've successfully made challah before at our house. The recipe was not too hard. I can't remember which hippie 1970s cookbook its from, but I will unearth it for you when our cookbooks are successfully unpacked from storage next month. and in the meantime I'll ask my husband, Noah the name of the cookbook, I'm sure he remembers.

Alicia K. said...

yeah, i found it odd than of the at least 5 jewish cookbooks i own, only one had a challah recipe (and my internet connection kept going down, so making comparisons was difficult). i'm considering getting that cookbook that just has jewish bread recipes, b/c making bread is fun! and i'd be very happy to hear about the recipe you guys made successfully. i was all ready to try my hand at braiding dough.

Elizabeth said...

Okay here's the link: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/157062089X/102-9393126-2114505?v=glance&n=283155

Alicia K. said...

awesome, thanks!