Sunday, July 27, 2008

2008 book 115

Ellen Litman's The Last Chicken in America
I knew I was going to like this nove in stories about Russian Jews who have immigrated to Pittsburgh b/c on the first page it described a trip to the exact supermarket my parents go to! Yup, the whole thing takes place in my neighborhood, Squirrel Hill, and it's full of lots of great late-90s Pittsburgh details. I assume some of this is autobigraphical--the author emigrated from Russia to America as a teenager. Anyway, it made me all nostalgic for home, so it gets an A-.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

you are not REALLY reading this fast are you?

Alicia K. said...

I actually read the Tana French book on Saturday night, but was too tired to blog about it then. But I did read all three of these books this weekend, so I guess the answer is yes.

It's easy to read a lot when you read fast and don't have anything better to do. :)

Unknown said...

i mean, i read every night for about three hours. however, i am amazed at how you are tearing through all of these books.

Alicia K. said...

well, i'm reading dickens' bleak house now, so that'll take a couple days. :)