Saturday, August 28, 2010

2010 books 214, 215, and 216

I read three books while I was out of town, but, shockingly, I left my laptop at home and thus could not update.

Kristen Tranter's The Legacy
This is the story of three Australian college friends in the late 90s involved in a strange love triangle; when one later disappears on 9/11, her besotted cousin sends the third party to New York to investigate. I found the college flashbacks much more appealing than the NY quest, and the end was convoluted and kind of ridiculous. B.

Melina Marchetta's Looking for Alibrandi
I've enjoyed several of Marchetta's other YA works and figured I'd give this--I think it's her first book--a shot. It's about a teenager growing up in Australia (I swear I didn't have an Australia theme set for the weekend, though since my brother spent a ton of time there in the past year, it would have been appropriate), caught between the world of her peers and the world of her Italian family. When the father she's never known comes to town, things come to a head. The end of this one was a little ridiculous too, but I liked it anyway. B+.

Patricia Wrede's The Magician's Ward
The sequel to Mairelon the Magician picks up a year later, with another magical mystery, along with Kim being entered into society. This one had a predictable, but not entirely ridiculous ending. A-/B+.

No comments: