Friday, April 22, 2011

2011 book 93

Josephine Angelini's Starcrossed
I started reading this book and seriously couldn't put it down--I was so engrossed I almost missed getting ready to go out tonight. It's my favorite kind of YA fantasy--Helen's grown up on Nantucket feeling like an outcast, desperate to just be normal, but when a new family moves to town, things become even more abnormal than they were before--starting with some very realistic nightmares. There's a love interest but instead of being annoyed at teenagers in books who meet and are all obsessed with their soulmates or whatever, I was actually rooting for these two (and for all the side couples as well). Angelini brings in some interesting issues involving mythology and fate that really intrigued me, and even though this could be another silly YA paranormal/fantasy romance kind of book, I think there's more to it than that, and I REALLY enjoyed it. Apparently it's the first of a trilogy and I am practically in tears that I have to wait till god-knows-when to see what happens next. A.

It comes out May 31st and is especially recommended to my sister. :)


__
An e-galley was provided by the publisher.

No comments: